Backpacking - What To Carry
A checklist on what to carry -
- Backpack - For a 3 day camping trip, we had a 65L or 70L backpack.
- Sleeping Bag - I’d recommend carrying a sleeping back 20F lesser than the minimum temperature.
- Sleeping Pad - Good for your back.
- Hiking Boots - The boots give you more ankle support but some of us had hiking shoes and they were fine too. I had a Vasque Breeze III Mid-Hiking Boots and they were great.
- Water Shoes - I’d recommend hiking in the water with sandals - something like this. Some us had water shoes but then sand or tiny pebbles would get stuck in the water shoes.
- Clothing - I’d recommend only 1 additional pair of clothing (besides the one you’re wearing) for a 3 day trip. Convertible Pants are really convenient - Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pant or the Mountain Hardwear Mesa Convertible Pants. Also, don’t wear any cotton top - preferably any material that wicks sweat (any of the sports wear should do).
- Socks - Don’t wear cotton socks. We had Darn Tough socks and they were really comfortable throughout the trip.
- Battery Charger - To make sure your phone never runs out of battery and you could take a lot of photos, carry something like this.
- Food - Check out my earlier post.
- Water Bottle / Hydration Bladder - All of us carried a 2L hydration bladder for carrying water and a water bottle for Gatorade or electrolyte.
- Headlamp - I’d recommend this over a torch light (good to have your hands free).
- Ponchos - Just in case it rains.
- Hiking Poles
- Cap and Sunglasses - really helpful!!
- Tooth-Brush, Paste and other accessories
- Bio-Degradable Soap - We carried these.
- Hand Sanitizer, Toilet Paper and Face wipes.
- Water Filter - to filter water but we ended up directly drinking from the tap water in the campgrounds.
- Pocket Knife
- Cord - Comes in handy for a lot of things (hanging clothes or tying)
- Tents - REI rentals.
- First Aid Kit.
- Trash Bags
- Fuel Cannister, Lighter, Stove and Kitchen Utensils - REI rentals.
- Cards, Small Speakers and Board Games - for entertainment :)
I’m sure I might have missed something but this is a good list to start with.
Code. Learn. Explore