Rubrik, one of the fastest growing SaaS companies, have defined a set of cultural values for their employees to live by and they call it RIVET.
Relentlessness - Don’t take no for an answer - to explore something challenging and push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Integrity - High moral standards when dealing with customers.
Velocity - More distance in less time :D. Velocity is the only weapon a startup has against all the big companies who have infinite resources.
- Make decisions fast - no more than 2 meetings per decision.
- Its ok to make less than 50% wrong decisions - Don’t waste time in making every decision right.
Excellence - Leaving things better than how they were.
Transparency - Let all the employees know the good and bad news, the challenges in the company so that everyone is aligned in the same direction.
- Make the information discussed in the board meeting be available to all members of the company - This way all employees would be inspired from the top and follow the same culture. This was Bipul’s way to inspire and encourage everyone towards transparency.
- The Cost of Transparency - You would find someone leaking information or someone else unable to take honest feedback and this is the cost one has to bear for transparency.
- Anonymous Feedback in AllHands - Enables everyone (even introverts) to clear out the questions in their mind.
A side note on hiring -
- Ask candidate talk about their background for 5 mins - you’ll be surprised what you learn about the candidate.
- Understand what ‘the best people’ mean and set standards based on that - Most people don’t understand what is a good engineer or sales or marketing person.
- Hire from connections - even meet people in person if you need them to respond to E-Mail / LinkedIn requests.
Source Greymatter podcast with Rubrik CEO Bipul Sinha
Code. Learn. Explore